cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bowser <bows...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: config.xml discussion, we need to talk
Date Wed, 16 Oct 2013 21:11:24 GMT
On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 1:37 PM, Michal Mocny <mmocny@chromium.org> wrote:
> Anis: Totally agrees, but its important to highlight that both directions
> for that arguments hold.  We've done our best to support bin/ scripts post
> 3.0, yet blanket statements like "CLI should not be used with IDE", or "CLI
> sucks unless you just doing something trivial" are being thrown around,
> which are harmful in my opinion, and I don't think its fair that some of us
> are promoting that message to users.

I don't think we're communicating with our users at all, so I don't
see how this could be communicated.  When users communicate their
frustrations, it's usually something like this
(http://www.infil00p.org/config-xml-changes-for-ios-and-android/#comment-10731)
and this (http://www.infil00p.org/introducing-cordova-3-0-0-for-android/#comment-10694).

> CLI works well for me, and while its not perfect, I strive to learn its
> limitations and make it better, not condemn it.

I avoid it because it's not developed for me, or developers like me
who like to see a big pile of output when things fail.  I avoided
having any part in its development because I thought it was the wrong
way to do things.  I assumed that the majority of users actually
wanted this and that I should do my best to work around this, but with
the backlash that we're getting, such as the blog posts and some
comments on the Google Groups, it seems that this is a feature very
few people actually wanted.

> As far as the CordovaWebView use case, I actually have never tried that.
>  Has anyone bothered to make sure it works well post-3.0, or does Joe have
> a point that we missed addressing this?

We have JUnit unit tests in the Android repository to make sure that
this still works.  However, I would like to see this test case
revisited since it may be more appropriate to have CordovaActivity be
inherited instead of CordovaInterface, or for both to be supported.
This is so that we can make more hybrid applications and deal with the
fact that we're so brutally non-complaint with Android UI guidelines
instead of just ignoring it.  I'll probably bring this up and present
more source code when it's ready to explain why we need this feature
in the next couple of weeks, and why it's important to respect the
platform, even when the platform doesn't respect the web.