cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Jacob Robbins <jacob.d.robb...@gmail.com>
Subject replacing webviews
Date Tue, 08 Oct 2013 15:19:49 GMT
Going through the iOS7 upgrade with my Cordova app (2.9) I found some
unpleasant surprises with fixed footers. The changes to mobile Safari are
great for browsing websites but not good for HTML5 apps.

This made me wonder, has there been discussion of integrating a full mobile
browser codebase into Cordova and using that instead of the native webview?
Mozilla sort of went this way with XUL where you could take their HTML
engine and use it in a non-browser context.

Seems to me a lot of usability problems with non-native apps result from
running them inside the same HTML engine used by the platforms' default
mobile browser. The native browsers are moving towards features that help
make regular websites accessible. Being a great virtual machine for
non-native apps is not a high priority for them.

Was wondering if this has been discussed and if there's issues that make
including a full HTML engine in a Cordova app infeasible.

-Jacob Robbins
Burn Note