cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Anis KADRI <anis.ka...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mapping plugin ID -> URL
Date Wed, 02 Oct 2013 18:49:50 GMT
Braden and I have talked about it in the past but there is already a
$HOME/.plugman/cache and plugman will not attempt to fetch plugins if
they are already in the cache. Unless I am missing something can you
just not drop your dependencies in there?

Are there other use cases than simply 'not fetching from registry and
using local path' for a given plugin ID ?

#1 and #2 can be solutions to some problems but do we have those
problems yet ? They can be a solution to managing multiple registry
sources for example (Cordova, PhoneGap, WorkLight, BlackBerry, ...)
because right now we only support.

Your proposed changes also seem to only affect CLI since you mentioned
a ".cordova/config.json". plugman only users would potentially be
penalized once again.

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 8:57 AM, Michal Mocny <mmocny@chromium.org> wrote:
> I think the missing piece is that the plugin author has the option of
> specifying dependencies in terms exactly *one* of these options:
>
> (a) id, to be looked up in the registry
> (b) explicit git url
> (c) relative path
>
> The problem is that a downstream *distributor* cannot override these values
> at the moment, without making direct edits to the plugin.xml.  e.g. IBM and
> BlackBerry have already both spoken up about the problem of shipping a
> cordova based tool with plugins bundled, and having full control over
> plugin versions, supporting offline work, etc.
>
> How can we solve the generic case of using the CLI with the registry, while
> supporting the bundling/tarball use case?
>
> Andrews proposal would allow for option (a) to be overwritten by a
> distributor without changes to the plugin.xml, by implementing a local
> workspace mapping of id -> path, which is used by cli instead of reaching
> out to the registry (though it could still use the registry for id's that
> are not in the mapping).
>
> I suspect it would also make (a) the only necessary way to specify plugin
> dependencies in practice, which I think is a win for simplicity.  Thats my
> understanding anyway.
>
> -Michal
>

> On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 10:55 AM, Brian LeRoux <b@brian.io> wrote:
>
>> Well, not npm but rather http://plugins.cordova.io or by URL or by
>> relative
>> path (allowing for vendored plugins). That is how Node does it TMK and
>> should cover our use cases too without adding new config file options (or
>> worse more config files).
>>
>> Am I missing something?
>>

>> On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 2:31 PM, Andrew Grieve <agrieve@chromium.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Could you give an example of how you'd use npm or vendor dependencies?

>> > they

>> > for

>> > from

>> exist)?