cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Braden Shepherdson <bra...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: update jasmine-node form 1.8.x to 1.11.x for cordova-cli?
Date Tue, 22 Oct 2013 20:14:06 GMT
It would be nice to have such hooks, but it only works well if everyone is
running them. If some people are not, and they break the tests, now it's
complaining at you when you try to commit. Also for people like me who
commit every other save and then squash a dozen commits into one or two,
it's very likely that some of the early ones will have broken tests. I
guess a pre-push hook is a little better, but it still has the first
problem.

I support CI and nag emails much more strongly. We already have this
internally at Google; we added Plugman and CLI to our Buildbot CI last
week. We're working on getting that publicly visible. Buildbot supports
distributed testing, so we'll integrate results from Adobe's Device Wall
eventually. In the short term, we're getting nag emails when the tests are
failing, and we'll be passing along the message to the author of the broken
change.

Braden

(Does anyone else picture The Monolith every time someone mentions the
device wall?)

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 3:24 PM, Andrew Grieve <agrieve@chromium.org> wrote:

> I <3 hooks, but they are super hard to enforce with git since people need
> to enable the manually. Although, maybe we could add that to coho's clone
> command?
>
> cordova-ios already has some hooks, and I think they've worked well.
>

> On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 3:06 PM, Carlos Santana <csantana23@gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Thanks Steven.
> > Wiki now contains the tips for testing cli
> >
> > https://wiki.apache.org/cordova/RunningTests
> >
> > What's the community opinion on "git pre-commit hooks" [1]? (we can start
> > by implementing "npm test")
> >
> > Also integrating with travisci[2] should be a piece of cake just with the
> > tests that we have today.
> >

> > [1]: http://git-scm.com/book/en/Customizing-Git-Git-Hooks
> > [2]:
> http://about.travis-ci.org/docs/user/languages/javascript-with-nodejs
> >

> > --Carlos
> >

> > On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 1:35 PM, Steven Gill <stevengill97@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Yeah good tips Carlos! I figured those tips out by spending time with
> the
> > > tests but I think it would be beneficial to write those down for people
> > who
> > > are looking to get started with our tests. Maybe on the wiki somewhere?
> > >
> > > -Steve

> csantana23@gmail.com

OK