cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Axel Nennker <ignisvul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: www/config.xml plugin dependencies
Date Mon, 21 Oct 2013 20:24:45 GMT
A MUST would be strong I think. Although the two ways don't mix well.
Using dependency and plugin-add simultaneously is probably wrong.
So plugin-add could look for www/config.xml dependency elements and suggest
to continue to use them if one is found. If none is found then it adds the
plugin.

Updating plugins during create/prepare would be a good start.
Plugins could be removed when the subdirs of the plugins directory and the
dependency elements indicate it.

Axel
 Am 21.10.2013 20:35 schrieb "Michal Mocny" <mmocny@chromium.org>:

> We've discussed adding <dependancy> to app's config.xml, but its
> interesting that you intend to have that work during build/prepare step.
>  Previously I think this was discussed in terms of "cordova create" only,
> which wouldn't satisfy your use case.  I think your use case is quite
> valid, but now im concerned about how to support removed <dependancy> over
> time, or manually installed plugins that arent in <dependancy> list...
>
> Maybe every plugin installed/removed *must* be reflected in the app's
> config.xml?
>
> -Michal
>

> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 1:42 PM, Axel Nennker <ignisvulpis@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Yes. Currently we are adding plugin be hand.
> > The problem is that we have a distributes developer team. So when the UI
> > developers change something in www to require a plugin and merge that
> with
> > master; then when the other developers pull master again the plugin is
> > missing and the Application hangs.
> > This has led to some frustration and wasted time.
> >
> > I think it would really help if www - developers could express a
> dependency
> > on plugins so that the next
> >     phonegap local android build
> > updates to the now missing plugins...
> >
> > cheers
> > Axel
> >

> > 2013/10/21 Ian Clelland <iclelland@chromium.org>
> >
> > > I don't think that we have "app dependencies" in Cordova (yet). If your
> > app
> > > depends on a plugin, then you should install that plugin.
> > >
> > > Either "cordova plugin add org.apache.cordova.globalization" or
> "plugman
> > > install org.apache.cordova.globalization" (not sure about the command
> > line
> > > params there) should add the plugin and modify your config.xml file
> > > appropriately.
> > >
> > > If you're concerned about automation / distribution, and want a simple
> > way
> > > to declare all of your app's dependent plugins, rather than just
> > > documenting them, then you can use the technique that mobile-spec
> > uses[1]:
> > > Create a "dependency-only plugin" which just lists all of the plugins
> on
> > > which your app depends, and as part of your create step, install that
> > > single plugin. Cordova will then recursively install all of the
> > > dependencies listed in it.
> > >
> > > [1]
> > >

> https://github.com/apache/cordova-mobile-spec/tree/master/dependencies-plugin

> https://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/3.1.0/config_ref_index.md.html#The%20config.xml%20Filesaythatthefeature
element is only for the platform specific config.xml