cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Michal Mocny <mmo...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: config.xml discussion, we need to talk
Date Thu, 17 Oct 2013 14:13:08 GMT
Thanks so much for chiming in, I'm very happy to see that you've figured
out how to leverage the benefits and avoid the drawbacks of the new
workflow, and that it has led to increased productivity for you.

I do think that perhaps it is still too difficult for every developer to
learn what you already have.

-Michal

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 12:13 AM, Viras <viras@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> my view on this discussion:
>
> I've used the CLI to release the latest version of GOFG Sports Computer
> for Windows Phone. The support for the "merges" directory is a fantastic
> feature which allows me to focus on the javascript code using e.g. the
> NetBeans IDE - I can finally handle all my platform specific code from
> JavaScript in one consistent directory structure - which is what Cordova
> should be about.
>
> In addition the CLI forces you to write clean code (not implying that the
> other method forces to write messy code). If you need something native
> write a clean plugin for it (which also makes the code reusable) - no need
> to mess around in the native projects code - this also makes upgrading
> cordova much easier.
>
> Once I've done the Windows Phone version I've simply added Android as a
> platform, build it and I was done - no need for fiddling around with SDK /
> IDE setup etc (besides actually installing it). So CLI is my favorite way
> to develop now - and it is far more powerful than the old approach (in my
> opinion) - since it saves you from fiddling around with project settings,
> etc. when you do a multi-platform release.
>
> Oh yes - and GOFG SC uses two custom plugins, 5 official plugins and
> cordova 3.0 - so it is a bit beyond the "Hello World" application....
>
> And I do not agree that it isn't possible to work with the native IDEs
> with their own projects - this is simply wrong since you can always go to
> the "platforms" directory and open the platform-projects using their native
> IDE from there (I've done this myself for e.g. plugin development).
>
> Still I agree that both versions should be supported - but don't make the
> assumption that the CLI is for "n00bs" only!
>
> Best,
> Wolfgang
>
> Am 2013-10-16 23:11, schrieb Joe Bowser:
>
>  On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 1:37 PM, Michal Mocny <mmocny@chromium.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Anis: Totally agrees, but its important to highlight that both directions
>>> for that arguments hold.  We've done our best to support bin/ scripts
>>> post
>>> 3.0, yet blanket statements like "CLI should not be used with IDE", or