cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Grieve <>
Subject 3.1.0 Release Post-Mortem
Date Thu, 17 Oct 2013 20:19:54 GMT
Realized I made some notes on what was missing from CuttingReleases last
time around and never sent them out. So, here they are!

Testing the RC:

 - CuttingReleases says to test after cutting RC1

 - What actually happened was we tested before RC1 tagging, and then not
really afterwards

CHANGE: let's make the release bug say "branch and test RC1" and not say
"test for final"

Announce RC

- We waited almost a week between tagging RC1 and announcing it.

CHANGE: We should make writing an RC1 blog post a part of the earlier steps
so that it's ready to go when the time comes.

Upload docs without making default

- This is a step that we did, and worked well, but there's no subtask in it
nor mention on CuttingReleases

CHANGE: Add a subtask for it

Tag final of JS/mobile-spec/app-template:

- This step was missing from release bug subtasks

CHANGE: Add subtask

Email Communication:

 - Lots of good communication was done via the ML.

 - Would be good to pair this with the release bug so that all
release-related info happens in one place.

CHANGE: Add a note to CuttingReleases about the purpose of the JIRA bug
being to track progress & tasks done related to the release.

Branching CLI for 3.1

- We did this, but CuttingRelease says not to.

CHANGE: - I think we shouldn't branch. Instead, we should:

1. check out the last released version

2. change the platforms.js file locally

3. upload to npm without checking in.

This way CLI can still have a regular release during the process, and when
it comes time for final, we can do the same again for the final release.

CHANGE: - I don't think it's useful to upload an RC of the docs. It creates
extra work to go in and delete the RC afterwards. Let's just version the
docs as 3.2.0 right away, and not change it to the default until the end.