cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Sergey Grebnov (Akvelon)" <v-seg...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: Medic status and plans
Date Thu, 10 Oct 2013 13:37:58 GMT
Hi David,

Thank you for the very valuable input. As per " I recent made a change to mobilespec to support
a medic plugin to make the insertion of testing a bit smoother. " Do you refer to the following
changes? Are there other changes in this direction in mobile-spec?
https://github.com/apache/cordova-mobile-spec/commit/de23e302daefcfac603fc992e41467d43ae40d87

Thx!
Sergey
-----Original Message-----
From: David Kemp [mailto:drkemp@google.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2013 5:06 PM
To: dev@cordova.apache.org
Subject: Re: Medic status and plans

More info...

The system I am using uses buildbot which has a master controller that provides a web interface,
moitors the git repos and generally manages things. When it detects a need for a build, it
communicates with build-slaves to run the tests and report back.

The build master is typically run on a linux box. It seems happy there, but should run on
a Windows machine - I have never tried, but the docs says it works.
The build slaves can run on other machines and OSs (including Windows) as required to run
tests.
If you are building iOS, that slave must be a Mac. If you are building Windows, it probably
needs to be a Windows slave.

Buildbot is written (and configured) in Python.

The test results are written to a couchDB on every run. You can inspect the DB and find out
exactly which component versions were used and the detailed test results.

Plans (mine at least):

Get the  test output viewable by the community. We are very close to having our test master
available on a public IP so anyone can see the current state. It is my hope that as more people
run CI systems, we can aggregate the views on ci.cordova.io so all platforms are easily viewed.
This should include a tidy dashboard to look at the couchDB aggregate data.

Make the test more plugin-based. The previous medic system did sed-style editing of files
to insert some of the automated test elements.
I recent made a change to mobilespec to support a medic plugin to make the insertion of testing
a bit smoother. That is not being used yet in the test system because it does not exist in
release 3.1. A rough plugin exists in the repo.

Move the medic deploy bits to simpler scripts that are just command line methods to run the
package in debug/attached mode.

Hope that helps.
There are several other people interested in or using this or similar systems. Please jump
in...

David Kemp