cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Tyler Wilson <twil...@symbeeco.com>
Subject Re: config.xml discussion, we need to talk
Date Wed, 16 Oct 2013 18:35:19 GMT

On Oct 16, 2013, at 1:47 PM, Joe Bowser <bowserj@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 10:13 AM, Wargo, John <john.wargo@sap.com> wrote:
>> Joe,
>>
>> What is your issue with the CLI?  Isn't not using it making your life more difficult
if you're doing cordova development (An app which includes one or more plugins).  I assumed
that with 3.0 everyone would use the Cli for their cordova (not cordova plugin) development.
 What am I missing?

> I was going to keep quiet, because this is going to make me extremely
> unpopular with the people who worked and promoted the CLI, since I've
> mostly left them alone until now. The CLI actually makes your life
> more difficult if you're making anything more complex than hello
> world.  If you care about details, you'll want the source code for
> Android and iOS at the very least.
>
> The biggest problem with the CLI is the fact that it hides the
> platforms in the .cordova directory and that if you're an advanced
> user of Cordova you have no way to make custom modifications to the
> source code on a per-project basis.  We've run into this numerous
> times where certain things need to be modified on a webview on 3.0
> that you can't easily do anymore.  Now, these changes by themselves
> are individual edge cases, which I don't want to see put in the XML of
> the project, but if you hide the source, you end up having to do crazy
> things like declare Java code in XML to override these cases.  I think
> that people should be able to modify the code and use it whichever way
> they want and that they should be able to do this on a per-project
> basis if they want, and I view the CLI as something that gets in the
> way of that, which is why I have such a low opinion of it.
>
> The CLI also makes it much harder for the CordovaWebView use case
> where you use Cordova as a small part of a larger native application.
> Given that this was one of the big features of PhoneGap 2.0, it makes
> no sense for us to make it harder to use that feature.
>
> Finally, I have yet to see anyone actually release a real application
> to the App Store or the Play Store with it.  Developing an application
> is great, but if I can't release it, then the tool is absolutely
> worthless.  While the CLI may look impressive in demos in front of an
> audience, it's not helpful in reality.
>
> Joe

While we are piling on: I have mentioned issues I have had with iOS builds using the CLI.
The worst is having to edit code somewhere outside the IDE, do a cordova prepare, then go
back to Xcode. If I am using an IDE, I expect to be able to use it to edit code. If the CLI
is not designed to be used with an IDE, perhaps it should just create Makefiles, ant scripts,
etc. and not make us think we can use an IDE by generated Xcode project files (maybe this
is the only way to build apps on OSX/iOS now - I am not that knowledgeable in that area).

I have moved all my projects back to using the bin/create method and using plugman to install
all the plugins I need. I use the --shared option as well to a local git clone of the iOS
Cordova so that all  my projects get updates at the same time. Much easier to develop this
way for me.

Thanks,
Tyler