cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Moore <moore...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Tag 2.9.1
Date Wed, 16 Oct 2013 16:37:47 GMT
Hi folks,

I know this is a dev list, so please let me know if I'm out of line posting (since I am a
user and not a dev), but I couldn't restrain myself from chiming in on this issue.

First, thanks for supporting 2.9.x for a while.  As a user developing on top of Cordova,
chasing Cordova versions can be tough.  I really felt good about committing to 2.9, especially
since 3.x was such a big (good, but big) change.

As a user, I would advocate for:
* having a clear end of life date for 2.9.x (3.5 or 6 months or whichever comes first).
The blog is a fine place to put this, but I'd also add it to the 2.9 docs, announce it on
the phonegap google group, etc.
* porting as much as possible back (including iOS 7 support)
* documenting what you can't or won't backport in the blog and in the 2.9.x docs, so users
can make an informed choice.

From this thread, seems like you aren't interested in porting new device support back to 2.9.x.
That is a bummer.  Is that because of the effort?

When I read that 2.9.x was going to be supported for a 'long time': http://www.infil00p.org/introducing-cordova-2-8-1-on-android/
I wasn't sure what that meant, but I hoped it meant support for major new versions of devices
(especially on the two marquee platforms).

As far as no one moving to 3.x, I would say that when you specify the end of life of 2.9.x,
that will be a clear signal it is time to move.

Anyway, I'm sure I can live with whatever is decided, but please do communicate this as clearly
and loudly as you can to us users.

Thanks!

--
Dan Moore