cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bowser <bows...@gmail.com>
Subject Major Issues
Date Tue, 17 Sep 2013 16:16:21 GMT
It's been a while, but I think it's time to spell things out.

I feel that it's next to impossible to contribute to this project in
any real meaningful way, and that this project has gone off the
tracks.  This is due to certain people posting huge essays that change
the architecture of the project, and how we do things, and then doing
it without any buy-in. We've gone along with this sort of unilateral
decision making for months, and all we've seen is reduced quality, and
developers getting frustrated because it's next to impossible to
figure out how to do things like tag a release.

We need to make things more simple for anyone to contribute, not more
difficult.  I think that we really need to change our release process
so that we use Git, and not some broken, half-baked tool that only one
person can seem to use.  We don't need to re-invent the wheel every
time we find a tool that we didn't invent, we really just need to
learn to use this tool.

The fact is that if I wasn't paid by Adobe to work on this project, I
would have just given up because this process is far too frustrating.
Given that I've been contributing the longest to this project, that's
saying something.

What I would like to see is the following:
 - Short e-mails detailing what people want to do. If you write a huge
essay, nobody is going to read it.  That's why everything comes as a
surprise for many people.  If you can't describe your feature in one
or two short paragraphs, perhaps it shouldn't be a feature
 - Simple scripts that JUST DO ONE THING - I hate coho.  I don't like
how it was injected in our process practically against the will of
many of the developers
 - People actually listening.  I don't think this ever happens on this
list, and I'm really sick of how things are decided unilaterally

Honestly, this shouldn't be about who can beat the other person down
with the longest e-mails, it should be about actually working on this
project and allowing people to make apps that don't suck.  If things
don't change, I expect that quality is going to keep taking a
nosedive, and that a year from now it'll be impossible for anyone to
do anything with Cordova.

I know that this is a really long e-mail, but I'm really annoyed at
how complex things have gotten over the past year.  We need to make
things simpler for everyone.

Joe