cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Anis KADRI <anis.ka...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Updating plugin code on prepare
Date Thu, 26 Sep 2013 10:08:14 GMT
No I didn't mean implement `plugman --watch`. I don't think plugman
needs a `watch` command.

I was indeed talking about `cordova watch` which should watch for
changes in plugins/ (and maybe in merges/ and www/ as well) and update
the platform projects (prepare?) on every change.  I am happy to know
that it's on the wish list.

As far as the original proposal, I believe it is a descent temporary
solution for plugin developers who want to use cordova-cli.

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 7:17 PM, Michal Mocny <mmocny@chromium.org> wrote:
> Braden, thats has been on the wish list (cordova watch), but I suspect Anis
> was suggesting something different with plugman --watch, to do specifically
> with plugin development.  Am I right, Anis?  How does your idea compare
> with using --link with cordova watch?  Would plugman --watch be useful for
> non cli projects?
>
> -Michal
>

> On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Braden Shepherdson <braden@chromium.org>wrote:
>
>> We've had a vague feature planned for a while now to do a cordova watch. It
>> would watch your plugins/, www/, and merges/* for any changes. If any
>> changes are detected, it would re-run cordova prepare, so that your native
>> projects are always up-to-date.
>>
>> I'm open to checking (hashes?) which files have changed and which have not,
>> but hashing them all is touching them all anyway, and it might be faster
>> for small files to just copy them instead of checking first. We'll have to
>> try it and see; for v1 I'm going with the simple option of copying
>> everything.
>>
>> Braden
>>

>> On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 9:44 AM, Michal Mocny <mmocny@chromium.org> wrote:
>>
>> > The idea for plugin dev outside of plugins/ folder was to use "plugin add
>> > --link".  Matter of fact, braden suggested that "plugin create" should
>> > default to --link-ing to some external location so that you don't risk
>> > deleting your only copy inside plugins/.  (I personally don't think
>> thats a
>> > necessary concern, but I think its a conversation for later).
>> >
>> > I'm not even sure what a 'watch' would do, just uninstall & install each
>> > time the plugin changes?  I think that ends up being just slightly worse
>> > than the current proposal if you factor in that we already do support
>> > --link (except without the above change its been useless).
>> >

>> > However, we may still want some form of 'watch' command for devs using
>> > plugman directly.  I had assumed that those devs just edit in place,
>> since
>> > they don't use a prepare step anyway.
>> >
>> > -Michal

>> files,