cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Braden Shepherdson <bra...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: config.xml discussion, we need to talk
Date Thu, 26 Sep 2013 17:40:22 GMT
This discussion is getting a little tangled, with CLI and not-CLI and so
on. I'm trying to bring together the current situation:

In CLI: there is a top level myproject/www/config.xml. This file is
*accidentally* copied into www/config.xml in each platform.

A **totally different file** with the same name is also generated by the
CLI, based on settings from the defaults.xml, plugin <config-file> edits,
and the top-level config.xml. This file is placed in
platforms/android/res/xml/config.xml on Android, in
platforms/ios/MyProject/config.xml on iOS, and other places.

I repeat, the platforms/android/res/xml/config.xml and
platforms/android/assets/www/config.xml are **different**.

It's the top-level www/config.xml that we want to give <platform> tag
support to, so that you can set platform-specific things without editing
the config.xml files inside those platforms.

Not-CLI: Just the latter file, in eg. res/xml/config.xml. Edited by hand,
always specific to this platform.

As far as the standards, it's the latter, res/xml/config.xml, that sort-of
matches the widget spec. The top-level Cordova one doesn't, and we're
moving farther away with adding <platform> tags.

Braden