cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Clelland <iclell...@chromium.org>
Subject Adding cordova.platform property
Date Fri, 06 Sep 2013 19:46:06 GMT
I brought this up on another thread, but I can't find any reference to the
issue in JIRA, so I'm starting a new thread for visibility.

Since cordova-plugin-device was removed from core, and is now an optional
plugin, there is no easy way to determine at runtime what platform an app
is running on. (And yes, feature detection is usually better than
user-agent detection, but there are legitimate reasons for switching on the
*cordova* platform as opposed to any particular feature available in the
webview)

I'd like to make this property available as `cordova.platform; it would be
a simple string taken from the 'id' defined in
cordova-js/lib/<platform>/platform.js.

Are there any objections to attaching this to the cordova namespace?

Ian