cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Clelland <iclell...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: [Android] FileHelper and DirectoryManager removed, breaks two core plugins
Date Wed, 11 Sep 2013 13:14:58 GMT
On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 5:44 AM, Andrew Grieve <agrieve@chromium.org> wrote:

> From your other thread, I think you figured out the case here - but the
> breaking case will be if you are using non-latest plugins with latest
> android.

This is still a possibility -- I hit it yesterday as well, by updating one
repo and not the other.

Given that the core and the plugins are separated now, the API surface is
even more of a contract than it was before, and I think we need to be more
careful about trying to make coordinated changes between plugins and core.

I would have liked to have seen the symbols moved into the plugin, under a
different name, and then, only later (say, with the next major release of
Cordova) have the old symbols removed. We could annotate them as deprecated
in the meantime to inform anyone else using them.

It's slower, but it won't break things. (As often, at least). And the
stability should help with developer confidence that we won't continue to
have breaking changes in Cordova with every monthly release.

Ian