cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Clelland <iclell...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: Updating plugin code on prepare
Date Fri, 27 Sep 2013 02:31:09 GMT
On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 12:11 AM, Anis KADRI <anis.kadri@gmail.com> wrote:

> As far as IDEs, the answer is simple. You should not use IDEs and
> cordova-cli at the same time. Until IDEs are aware of cordova-cli
> there is no point in creating projects with cordova-cli because
> everything gets blown on every build. I am not even sure we can make
> Xcode aware of cordova-cli. We've already talked about this prior to
> the 3.0 release and that is why we have the create scripts and plugman
> approach. You should not be using cordova-cli either if you're doing
> some custom native dev that can't be pluginized (changing the main
> Activity.java or AppDelegate.m or whatever). If you're using
> cordova-cli just to create a project and then open an IDE to develop,
> you're probably doing it wrong. You should be creating a native
> project and using plugman instead.

Oh, man, I'm definitely doing it wrong :)

I'm almost always using the CLI to create projects, and then opening the
platform projects in Eclipse or XCode to run them. When I update code, I
run prepare, and refresh in the IDE before running again. (In XCode, I
generally don't even need to refresh; it just knows when the files have
changed.)

I don't mind using the IDE for debugging if (when) things don't work -- but
I know that all of the assets are ephemeral, and that I need to make the
*real* fixes outside of the platforms directory.

I hope that eventually we can have 'cordova prepare' just be part of the
build step in the IDEs, and let people just edit the master files in www/
and build from there with the IDE, but I think we're a long way from there.
Until then, the IDE is occasionally critical for debugging, even on a CLI
project (wrong as it is ;) )

Ian