cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Carlos Santana <csantan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: cordova cli global vs. local install
Date Tue, 10 Sep 2013 00:27:02 GMT
Just to be clear I'm not proposing that we use grunt-cli/grunt to manage
the cordova versions.

What I'm proposing  is to have less magic than what we have today in
cordova, and be more practical (at least from my point of view)

I think I'm bringing this forward because I'm having difficulty integrating
 "glue" with cordova.

cordova is an npm package (which I consider a lib/module/building-block)
but we advertise as a global tool.

I'm trying to instrument cordova just as any other front end tool to do web
app development, I'm running cordova not by hand from command prompt.

Today if cordova is install globally at version 3.0.6 and locally at 3.0.8
Then it depends how the tools is executed from /usr/local/bin/cordova or
./node_modules/.bin/cordova

When a user open jira item with a cordova problem and we ask what version
of cordova they are using, don't be surprise if they think they running one
version, but actually a different one if they are using node and not the
command prompt.

I don't have strong opinions either way, I just wanted to know what the
community thought about this topic

I'm happy running `$PWD/node_modules/.bin/cordova`  for now and I know I'm
going to get predictable results :-)

--Carlos

--
Carlos Santana