cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Michal Mocny <mmo...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: mobile-spec and releases: How do we test?
Date Fri, 27 Sep 2013 13:28:40 GMT
I was looking over some old emails from this list on plugin testing, and an
idea that was proposed way back was to ship plugin tests as a second
plugin.  That way, you can chose to install tests, or not, and know
explicitly if they are being copied into your final project.

An alternative would be to support build targets a la "release/debug" and
have target-specific plugin.xml tags (assets, js-modules, source-file..).

-Michal

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 4:52 AM, Brian LeRoux <b@brian.io> wrote:

> I think this is basically what we've been proposing for a while now.
>

> On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 8:29 PM, Michal Mocny <mmocny@chromium.org> wrote:
>
> > I would suggest perhaps a simpler approach, which doesn't add anything
> new
> > to cordova-cli/plugman:
> >
> > - Each plugin ships with a "tests" js-module, and we document a
> convention
> > of where they should live, and what signature it should have (i.e.,
> > cordova.require('plugin.name.Tests').forEach(...) ).
> >   - Will need a common way to describe/report results (others have
> > mentioned TAP).
> > - Any app is free to run those plugin tests in any which way, but we
> ship a
> > mobile-spec app which is one opinionated way to do so.
> >   - It attempts to require the test module for each installed plugin,
> runs
> > them, and aggregates results.
> >   - It could report results to some shared server, allow toggling of
> tests,
> > etc, but no plugin should know or care about those features.
> >
> > Using that as a generic base:
> >
> > - We ship a "CDVTests" (or whatever) plugin which has a bunch of library
> > code for creating tests, and plugins can use it to register their tests.
> > - This makes it easier to register manual tests in a common format for
> core
> > plugins, and prevents code duplication for core auto tests.
> > - External plugins can chose to use our testing library, or not.
> >
> > -Michal
> >

> > On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 10:34 AM, Braden Shepherdson <
> braden@chromium.org
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > Here's an off-the-top-of-my-head sketch of how we might do Voltron
> tests:
> > >
> > > - Add a tag to plugin.xml that names each test file:
> > >     <test type="automatic" src="spec/foo.js" name="Foo Automated" />
> > >     <test type="manual" src="spec/bar.js" name="Foo Manual" />
> > > - Add a new command, cordova test (maybe prepare-test), that:
> > >     - Ignores the top-level www.
> > >     - Instead copies in a basic testing index.html similar to the
> current
> > > mobile-spec's
> > >     - That index reads a file akin to cordova_plugins.js
> > (cordova_tests.js,
> > > maybe?) generated by the CLI, containing the info from the <test> tags.
> > >     - It has navigation similar to the current mobile-spec, with
> buttons
> > > for the automatic and manual sections. Auto has "All" and then each
> > module,
> > > manual just has the list of modules.
> > >
> > > Thoughts?
> > >
> > > Braden