cordova-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Lindsey Simon <els...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: config.xml discussion, we need to talk
Date Thu, 26 Sep 2013 15:53:06 GMT
On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 8:32 AM, Carlos Santana <csantana23@gmail.com>wrote:

> Branden,
>    "On Android, it's really easy to load XML files from res/xml/foo.xml,
> so that's where we put it."
>
> Easy for who?
> I think is difficult for web developer to not find it in www/config.xml and
> start searching for it
>
> I don't know much about Android so maybe I'm putting my foot in my mouth
> because it's too complex to read the file from www/
>

When you say www are you referring to project/www or
project/platform/android/assets/www?


>
>
> --Carlos
>
>
> On Thursday, September 26, 2013, Braden Shepherdson wrote:
>
> > I am strongly opposed to splitting into one file per platform. We want to
> > support <platform> tags in config.xml, which will allow platform-specific
> > content within the single config.xml.
> >
> > There are good reasons why the CLI moves the config.xml on some
> platforms.
> > On Android, it's really easy to load XML files from res/xml/foo.xml, so
> > that's where we put it. We should be deleting the
> > platforms/android/assets/www/config.xml though, since it's an unused
> > duplicate and confusing.
> >
> > Braden
> >
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 4:59 PM, Carlos Santana <csantana23@gmail.com
> <javascript:;>
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > I was not trying to be purist with the w3c www/config.xml
> > >
> > > I just want to see some consistency across all platforms for
> > configuration
> > > settings for a Cordova App.
> > >
> > > The same way I have a single index.html, app.css and app.js. I want see
> > one
> > > config.xml for all platforms inside www/ or many config.xml per
> platform
> > > config.ios.xml, config.android.xml, etc... But as a web developer I'm
> > > excepting all the files that I need to modify inside www/ using CLI or
> > not
> > >
> > > Even if I have to run something like ./bin/processconfig.sh to
> propagate
> > > changes from the /www/config.xml
> > >
> > > As web developer I might update the config.xml once for every 100 edits
> > to
> > > my app web files (HTML, JS, CSS)
> > >
> > > TLDR: consistency wins over correctness
> > >
> > > PS: what is the phonegap team doing? I think you tell users to edit one
> > > config.xml for the web app and pgbuild takes care of the rest
> > >
> > >
> > > -- Carlos
> > >
> > > On Wednesday, September 25, 2013, Braden Shepherdson wrote:
> > >
> > > > I'm in favour of CLI (platform parsers, probably) deleting this
> > > > www/config.xml that they don't use. It's a waste of space and has
> > > confused
> > > > people in the past.
> > > >
> > > > It even confused the iOS prepare code and caused that odd "my project
> > > > doesn't work if it starts with x, y or z" bug (because
> > xFactor/config.xml
> > > > sorts after www/config.xml, and it was blindly taking the first one).
> > > >
> > > > Braden
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 4:22 PM, Bryan Higgins <
> > bhiggins@blackberry.com <javascript:;>
> > > <javascript:;>
> > > > >wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > Thanks for the clarification. BlackBerry happened to luck out
> because
> > > we
> > > > > expect config.xml in www.
> > > > >
> > > > > Perhaps copying of config.xml should become a responsibility of the
> > > > > platform parsers.
> > > > >
> > > > > I can understand moving config.xml to root or cordova for the
> reason
> > > > stated
> > > > > in the JIRA, but my vote would be to keep it "config.xml" rather
> than
> > > > > "app.xml".
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 3:55 PM, Jesse <purplecabbage@gmail.com>
> > > wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > > I am not saying deviate, I am saying, what is it supposed to
be?
> If
> > > you
> > > > > > look at the various platforms you will see it is all over the
> map.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Looking at Android code, and talking to Joe, the only location
> that
> > > the
> > > > > > config.xml file is loaded from is in res/xml, and the fact that
> > > > > cordova-cli
> > > > > > creates another one sitting in the www folder is just irrelevant
> > > > > > sloppiness.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > It may make sense for the config.xml file to sit in the root/www
> > > folder
> > > > > of
> > > > > > the CLI project, but in reality at runtime, it's location will
> vary
> > > by
> > > > > > platform.
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > @purplecabbage
> > > > > > risingj.com
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 12:29 PM, Bryan Higgins <
> > > > bhiggins@blackberry.com
> > > > > > >wrote:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > > www/config.xml aligns nicely with the w3c widget spec [1].
Why
> > > would
> > > > we
> > > > > > > want to deviate?
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > [1]
> http://www.w3.org/TR/widgets/#reserved-file-and-folder-names
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 3:23 PM, Jesse <
> purplecabbage@gmail.com>
> > > > > wrote:
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > Seems any project created with the CLI has a config.xml
in
> the
> > > www
> > > > > > > folder.
> > > > > > > > [1]
> > > > > > > > Why do we have 2 of these?
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > I also recently closed a defect created by Carlos,
stating
> that
> > > WP8
> > > > > did
> > > > > > > NOT
> > > > > > > > have it's config.xml in the www folder. [2] Now I
am not
> sure I
> > > > > should
> > > > > > > have
> > > > > > > > called this invalid, however, after creating a new
WP8
> project
> > > with
> > > > > the
> > > > > > > > CLI, I see a config.xml in the www folder AND one
in the app
> > > root.
> > > > > wtf?
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > There is an open issue [3] to re-org config files,
where
> Braden
> > > > > states
> > > > > > > "We
> > > > > > > > already have plans to move $PROJECT/www/config.xml
to
> > > > > $PROJECT/app.xml,
> > > > > > > > which more or less addresses ..."    Have we formalized
what
> > > > exactly
> > > > > > this
> > > > > > > > is?
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > Seems we still have a lot of discussion that has to
happen
> > before
> > > > we
> > > > > > can
> > > > > > > > move ahead on these items.  I am currently adding
config.xml
> > > > support
> > > > > to
> > > > > > > > Windows 8, and was hoping to have a nice clear path
of what
> to
> > > do,
> > > > > but
> > > > > > it
> > > > > > > > still looks pretty muddy. [4]
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > > > > > > <http://risingj.com>
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > Carlos Santana
> > > <csantana23@gmail.com <javascript:;>>
> > >
> >
>
>
> --
> Carlos Santana
> <csantana23@gmail.com>
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message