cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Tyler Wilson <twil...@pulse-robotics.com>
Subject Re: Updating plugin code on prepare
Date Fri, 27 Sep 2013 00:19:19 GMT
Re: IDEs: if it is the case that the CLI should not be used along with an IDE, perhaps the
documentation - including Getting Started Guides, etc. - ought to be much clearer about this.
Perhaps a big warning that "Xcode project files are created by the CLI, but they should not
be opened and used by Xcode. And you definitely should not edit code within the IDE".

I just went to the main documentation site here - http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/3.0.0/guide_overview_index.md.html#Overview
- and it appears it only mentions the new CLI interface. No mention of the old bin/create
method. Seems to me there may be communication problem here.

Thanks,
Tyler

On Sep 26, 2013, at 6:11 PM, Anis KADRI <anis.kadri@gmail.com> wrote:

> @purplecabbage: I have the same workflow but I think the proposed
> solution is a step in the right direction. It would allow us to easily
> develop platform plugins without having to delete project/create
> project/install plugin/uninstall plugin constantly. The plugin would
> be packaged (plugin.xml) from day 1 and one can only focus on
> development.
>
> As far as IDEs, the answer is simple. You should not use IDEs and
> cordova-cli at the same time. Until IDEs are aware of cordova-cli
> there is no point in creating projects with cordova-cli because
> everything gets blown on every build. I am not even sure we can make
> Xcode aware of cordova-cli. We've already talked about this prior to
> the 3.0 release and that is why we have the create scripts and plugman
> approach. You should not be using cordova-cli either if you're doing
> some custom native dev that can't be pluginized (changing the main
> Activity.java or AppDelegate.m or whatever). If you're using
> cordova-cli just to create a project and then open an IDE to develop,
> you're probably doing it wrong. You should be creating a native
> project and using plugman instead.
>
> On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 9:01 PM, Michal Mocny <mmocny@chromium.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 1:39 PM, Jesse <purplecabbage@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> What does a watch mean?
>>> - if I reboot, is it still watched?
>>>

>> No, this would start a process that lives until you CTRL+C.  You could have
>> it run it in the background, or set it to start of startup, but that would
>> be using local system tools, not part of the command itself.
>>
>> Ideally, "watch" should run "prepare" whenever you would have wanted it to.
>> Though obviously that cannot be perfect, it can be a useful tool when
>> iterating.
>>

>>> I think it would be best to consider separating development from packaging
>>> in your use-case for workflow.
>>> If I am going to develop featureX as a plugin I would :
>>>
>>> 1. create a project for a single cordova platform, and develop the feature
>>> as a native piece, and a js piece.
>>> 2. test thoroughly
>>> 3. create a project for a second cordova platform, and develop the native
>>> bit, preserving the js from 1
>>> 4. test thoroughly
>>> 5. repeat steps 3+4 for any remaining platforms
> [...]
>>> 7. test each platform by installing with plugman
>>> 8. publish
>>>

>> As a plugin developer, that is not my workflow.
>>
>> Typically for me its:
>>
>> Write a sample app/manual test for some new feature that isn't implemented
>> yet.
>> Create a new plugin Foo for iOS & Android, and stub the implementation.
>> Implement feature A of plugin Foo for iOS, test, add it for Android, test.
>> Implement feature B of plugin Foo for iOS, test, add it for Android, test.
>>
>> Usually the js implementation is shared, the auto tests are shared, and the
>> sample test app is shared.
>>
>> Sure, I do platform specific stuff for testing and implementation, but I
>> certainly wouldn't say I do plugin development in platform isolation.
>>
>> Also, right now we do not have a "plugin create" command, and so leaving
>> the "packaging" step for last doesn't add affect total work.  But once we
>> do have such a command, plugins could start packaged, and adding the small
>> changes to plugin.xml as you need them is likely a good way to go.
>>
>> Finally, this workflow would get people out of the habit of making changes
>> to the platform artifacts directly.  I'm not sure that can be entirely
>> avoided in all cases, but why shouldn't we work towards making that easier?
>>

>>> We seem to have this notion come up repeatedly that our users + plugin
>>> developers are working on multiple platforms at the same time, which I
>>> think is entirely false.
>>>

>> Since we differ in opinion, how can we put this to the test?
>>
>> Also, we specifically make sure all our features address the needs of those
>> doing single platform development, so in a world of 3.0+ cli, I really
>> don't see how we can not do the same to address the needs of those who do
>> do multi-platform development, especially when we have a good proposal of
>> how to do so and someone willing to do it.
>>

>>> I also think we're trying to help the wrong people; If I am a developer who
>>> is working on multiple platforms at once, and I have a bunch of devices
>>> attached, I probably also have the skills to set up my own grunt continuous
>>> integration system. Setting up tooling for potential plugin developers is
>>> the wrong approach, imho. We should actually just go and implement some new
>>> plugin and evaluate the process instead of creating and imposing a specific
>>> workflow.
>>>

>> The first part of this argument has some merit, I agree.  We the
>> power-users have found ways to address our problems.  However, I think that
>> with this change it means that even the end user can make changes to plugin
>> folder as they find bugs/etc, and expect to see the change reflected after
>> running prepare.  This is principle of least surprise, and just good design.
>>
>> I also don't think we are imposing any specific workflow here, just
>> enabling a new one.  Personally I think that its quite surprising and
>> embarrassing that we haven't enabled this workflow since 3.0.

useless).

>>> devs
just edit in

>>> that