cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Sierra <msie...@adobe.com>
Subject RE: config.xml discussion, we need to talk
Date Thu, 26 Sep 2013 19:19:02 GMT
I'm about to try to better clarify current behavior in the doc.  I understand when using the
CLI to build, the `platforms/*/www/config.xml` files come from passively copying the web-assets
source directory.  (Excpetion: Android's ends up in `platforms/android/assets/www/config.xml`.)
 If you switch from CLI to an SDK workflow, you need to use these other files as source for
iOS & Android:

  platforms/ios/<APP_NAME>/config.xml
  platforms/android/res/www/config.xml

Question: Do any other platforms' SDK-ready config.xml files live elsewhere than what's generated
by the CLI in `platforms/*/www/config.xml`? And if so, where so they live? Thanks

--Mike S

From: braden@google.com [braden@google.com] On Behalf Of Braden Shepherdson [braden@chromium.org]
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2013 1:40 PM
To: dev@cordova.apache.org
Subject: Re: config.xml discussion, we need to talk

This discussion is getting a little tangled, with CLI and not-CLI and so
on. I'm trying to bring together the current situation:

In CLI: there is a top level myproject/www/config.xml. This file is
*accidentally* copied into www/config.xml in each platform.

A **totally different file** with the same name is also generated by the
CLI, based on settings from the defaults.xml, plugin <config-file> edits,
and the top-level config.xml. This file is placed in
platforms/android/res/xml/config.xml on Android, in
platforms/ios/MyProject/config.xml on iOS, and other places.

I repeat, the platforms/android/res/xml/config.xml and
platforms/android/assets/www/config.xml are **different**.

It's the top-level www/config.xml that we want to give <platform> tag
support to, so that you can set platform-specific things without editing
the config.xml files inside those platforms.

Not-CLI: Just the latter file, in eg. res/xml/config.xml. Edited by hand,
always specific to this platform.

As far as the standards, it's the latter, res/xml/config.xml, that sort-of
matches the widget spec. The top-level Cordova one doesn't, and we're
moving farther away with adding <platform> tags.

Braden