cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Maj <...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: PROPOSAL: node.js all the script things
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2013 18:58:16 GMT
One thing about the windows sets of scripts (Jscript-based) is that it is
a primitive scripting language. From what I can tell (please correct me if
I'm wrong) there's no concept of modules, so code re-use is a problem,
which leads us to roll with copy-paste jobs such as the Log function [1]
[2] [3] and the exec function [4] [5].

I agree forging ahead and rewriting a bunch of stuff just for the sake of
consistency is make-work, but there _are_ benefits that would come out of
these efforts.

[1]
https://github.com/apache/cordova-wp8/blob/master/wp8/template/cordova/lib/
deploy.js#L72
[2]
https://github.com/apache/cordova-wp8/blob/master/wp8/template/cordova/lib/
clean.js#L39
[3]
https://github.com/apache/cordova-wp8/blob/master/wp8/template/cordova/lib/
build.js#L44
[4]
https://github.com/apache/cordova-wp8/blob/master/wp8/template/cordova/lib/
deploy.js#L94
[5]
https://github.com/apache/cordova-wp8/blob/master/wp8/template/cordova/lib/
build.js#L54

On 8/12/13 10:18 AM, "Benn Mapes" <benn.mapes@gmail.com> wrote:

>+1 to this thread.
>
>I say we work on BB/Android first but it would be nice to have all the
>tooling eventually in node (for consistency/maintainability). For the
>windows tooling, it's mostly in JScript at the moment anyways so the code
>could pretty much stay the same by just updating a few of the basic
>functions such as logging, exec, and read/write.
>

>On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 9:11 AM, Lorin Beer
><lorin.beer.dev@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> this conversation has been continuing on and offline around the
>> watercooler.
>>
>> +1 for Jesse's concern.
>>
>> There is absolutely no value in throwing out working bat scripts and
>> rewriting them in node. It's makework.
>>
>> For BB10, the scripts were written in node in the first place, and
>>bash/bat
>> scripts invoke the node scripts. The inverse would be fine for WP7/8.
>>Node
>> alias invokes bat script.
>>

>> On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 12:51 PM, Jesse <purplecabbage@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > No, I have not yet seen it, sounds sweet, and I applaud your
>>commitment.
>> > The comment was based on historical data; I am still optimistic for
>>the
>> > future.
>> > You will of course need to upgrade/downgrade to Windows 8 to
>>develop/test
>> > for Windows 8, or Windows Phone 8.
>> >
>> > @purplecabbage
>> > risingj.com