cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bowser <bows...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Android API levels supported/required?
Date Thu, 01 Aug 2013 15:26:23 GMT
On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 12:14 AM, Smith, Peter
<peters@fast.au.fujitsu.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There seems conflicting information about the Android API levels
> supported/required and it is causing us some confusion. Please see
> questions inline below.

You seem to be very easily confused.

> (Ref 1) "Deprecation Policy"
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/cordova/DeprecationPolicy
>
> says
>
> *        As of May 2013 HONEYCOMB (API 11) and ECLAIR (API <= 7) no
> longer supported
>
> *        As of July 2013 FROYO (API 8) no longer supported (see near the
> top of the table)
>
> So it means API 9, 10 and >= 12 are supported but 11 is not supported.

Correct.  It may still work on Honeycomb, but since there are almost
no Honeycomb devices left, we're not going to fix any Honeycomb bugs.

> (Ref 2) "Android Platform Guide"
> http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/2.9.0/guide_getting-started_android_in
> dex.md.html#Android%20Platform%20Guide
> says "Cordova supports Android 2.2, 2.3, and 4.x."
>

> Q. Android 2.2 is FROYO (API level 8) which the deprecation list says is
> not supported, but the guide says it is supported. Is this just an
> out-dated guide which shouldn't say 2.2 anymore?

Yes.

> (Ref 3) "Embedding Cordova WebView on Android"
> http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/2.9.0/guide_cordovawebview_android.md.
> html#Embedding%20Cordova%20WebView%20on%20Android
> says "Android SDK updated with 15" is a pre-requisite.

You should actually have the latest Android SDK, with API level 18.

> Q. What is the reason is API level 15 (ICE_CREAM_SANDWICH_MR1) is
> needed? It doesn't seem to match the other information.

You actually need the latest API to compile Cordova because we build
to the latest and use techniques like Java Reflection to support
earlier versions of Android.  This way users can actually build just
one APK and have support across Android versions.  We have a minimum
version, which is Gingerbread, and a target version which is
Jellybean.