cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Braden Shepherdson <bra...@chromium.org>
Subject config.xml refactoring
Date Wed, 28 Aug 2013 17:49:52 GMT
So we have several bugs[1][2][3] about fixing the handling of config.xml
and of upgrading CLI projects. Upgrading platforms is hard because the user
might have been modifying files in the platforms/foo directory, and we
don't want to go overwriting them. Most of the time the file that's been
changed is the platform's config.xml.

So we (the Google team) are working on a proposal for rearranging how we
handle config.xml files in order to make upgrades easier, and solving some
of these other problems (splash screens) easier. Also to make the CLI
tooling simpler, because currently the platform config.xml file is both the
input and output of several processes (mainly adding and removing plugins,
as well as cordova prepare).

What we want to know, in writing this proposal is: what use-cases for the
config.xml files are there? There seem to be two:
1. Not using CLI, just bin/create and maybe Plugman.
2. Using CLI, and needing to upgrade smoothly from the 3.0 world to 3.1
with these changes to the files.

Is there anything else we should be thinking about? If not, we'll have the
proposal sent around tomorrow.

Braden