cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Braden Shepherdson <bra...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: Cordova CLI
Date Thu, 22 Aug 2013 15:17:10 GMT

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 9:06 AM, Jan Becicka <Jan.Becicka@oracle.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>   I'm a developer working on Cordova Support in NetBeans IDE (
> http://www.netbeans.org).
>   NetBeans IDE can create a new Cordova Project, build/run it on emulators
> and devices, do Live CSS styling, JavaScript Debugging etc...

Cool!

> Our implementation depends on the new Cordova CLI. I have some concerns,
> that we might depend on something which is subject to change.
>
> * We depend on Cordova CLI - it should be safe, right? This should be
> stable.

The existence and general function of Cordova CLI is certainly stable. This
is the new basis for building Cordova apps, not a hack that's subject to
replacement.

> * We depend on project structure according
> https://github.com/apache/cordova-cli . Is the project structure stable?

Reasonably. No promises that the details won't move around a bit. There's
been discussion, for example, of moving from having $PROJECT/merges and
$PROJECT/www as top-level directories, to a $PROJECT/app folder that
contains app/www, app/merges, app/resources/splashscreen or whatever else.
There's some history here; the Google team working on CLI (ie. me) thought
that was an uncontroversial change back in CLI's alpha days, but it got a
lot of pushback and was eventually reverted.

On the other hand, we've launched now, so we're probably stuck with this,
even though config.xml is inside www/ and that makes no sense.

> * What about cordova plugins? Core Cordova plugins are added through CLI
> this way:
>
> cordova plugin add
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/cordova-plugin-geolocation.git
>
> We implemented UI for adding core plugins into the project. We hardcoded
> list of plugins and we hardcoded those git repositories, since we didn't
> find any better way. But I have some concerns, that these repositories will
> change in the future and our UI will stop working. What are your plans with
> plugins?

We're actively working on building a registry of plugins that can be
queried to discover what versions of it exist and where they can be found.
Once that's ready for primetime, you can use it to determine what plugins
can be installed. Though the list may eventually grow too large to fetch
all at once, so you may want to think about search functionality rather
than a list.

> * Cordova CLI does not support iOS Devices. (cordova run ios). Are there
> any plans to support it in near future?

Platform parity is a goal for sure. I don't work on iOS much, so I can't
speak as to the state and future of cordova run ios support.