cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Simon MacDonald <simon.macdon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Android a11y, Whitelists and Offline Story
Date Thu, 29 Aug 2013 18:12:34 GMT
More in-line comments:

> On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 1:25 PM, Joe Bowser <bowserj@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 3. There's no real point trying to make accessibility work on
>> Gingerbread, since the accessibility libraries don't really work on
>> that platform, and aren't as robust.

Agreed, I've looked into this before and I haven't had any success
with anything less than Android 4.0.

>> 4. Accessibility is HARD, especially when you're not blind.
>
> Agreed. It takes an extra level of attention to detail to get that sort of
> stuff right, and you have to constantly stay on top of it.

Double agreed. We had to do a full release of adding a11y to our
product about 5 years ago and it was the most frustrating and yet
enlightening development experience ever.

>> 5. The splashscreen says "Alert".  WTF?
>
> Is this the Cordova app splashscreen? That's really strange, unless
> something is intercepting / reading out the prompt call from the bridge.
> Although in that case, I would expect it to happen pretty much continuously
> through an app.

The splash screen on Android is actually a full screen dialog. Even
though there is no title bar shown I'm betting it picks up the default
value "Alert". We should probably set it to something more accessible
like "Splash Screen". Although, then we get into internationalization
(i18n) issues for blind Dutch users :)

Simon