cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Clelland <iclell...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: Extending CordovaWebView
Date Thu, 22 Aug 2013 18:10:33 GMT
On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 1:49 PM, Joe Bowser <bowserj@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 10:43 AM, Ian Clelland <iclelland@chromium.org>
> wrote:
> > After thinking about this for a couple of days, and discussing with
> Andrew
> > and Michal here, it seem that there are definitely (at least) two
> different
> > issues here.
> >

> > First is that there is no way to use a custom WebView / WebViewClient /
> > ChromeClient class within the CLI system, without writing custom native
> > code after your project has been created. This may be acceptable for
> > individual project authors, but it's a pain for framework authors.
> >

> Can you explain why this is a pain? Also, what do you mean by
> framework author? Do you mean us?

No, by "framework author", I am meaning something more like Google's
position with Mobile Chrome Apps. As Google, we want to to be able to say
"this is the ChromeClient subclass that all projects built with mca.js
should use".

It would be approximately a billion times better to have proper support for
that in the underlying Cordova platform, than to have to manually patch the
code that gets generated by "cordova platform add android". If we have to
do that, then we're probably either building something quite fragile, or
duplicating a lot of the work that CLI already does.

Ian

Re: terminology: I guess I'm thinking of our Mobile Chrome Apps project as
a "framework" built on top of the underlying Cordova platform. Other such
frameworks are possible, and they may each want to use a different
customized WebView for their own app developers. (PhoneGap might be a
platform in this sense; I'm not familiar enough to say)