cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Ally Ogilvie <aogil...@wizcorp.jp>
Subject RE: Android a11y, Whitelists and Offline Story
Date Fri, 30 Aug 2013 00:44:12 GMT
> (I thought "Android a11y" was going to be Ally Ogilvie :) )
Hell yeah! a11y o5e plugin, don't use it though, it won't aid
accessibility for anything other than receiving beer :) :)

Don't know much about accessibilityInjector, but could imagine some
haxors would love to use TextToSpeechWrapper XD

Sent from my Windows Phone From: Ian Clelland
Sent: 30/08/2013 02:34
To: dev@cordova.apache.org; bowserj@apache.org
Subject: Re: Android a11y, Whitelists and Offline Story
(I thought "Android a11y" was going to be Ally Ogilvie :) )

Some thoughts inline:

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 1:25 PM, Joe Bowser <bowserj@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey
>
> The last week, I've been doing some preliminary work on Android
> accessibility, and after fiddling with Cordova, I've come to some
> pretty bad realizations:
>
> 1. Android Accessibility in a WebView is achieved the same way we do
> PhoneGap, except that their JS is injected from a static server.  This
> means that if the app is offline, it's not accessible to the blind

Do you mean that this is true for most android applications / web sites,
but that Cordova is currently better than that? (Or that PhoneGap is better
than that, at least?)

> 2. Most of Android isn't actually accessible, namely the Play Store,
> which is how most people discover apps. "Play Store, Play Store, Play
> Store, Play Store" doesn't seem super useful.
>
> 3. There's no real point trying to make accessibility work on
> Gingerbread, since the accessibility libraries don't really work on
> that platform, and aren't as robust.
>
> 4. Accessibility is HARD, especially when you're not blind.

Agreed. It takes an extra level of attention to detail to get that sort of
stuff right, and you have to constantly stay on top of it.

> 5. The splashscreen says "Alert".  WTF?

Is this the Cordova app splashscreen? That's really strange, unless
something is intercepting / reading out the prompt call from the bridge.
Although in that case, I would expect it to happen pretty much continuously
through an app.

> So, one major issue that I ran into is that you have to whitelist
> gstatic.com so that you can get the Accessibility Javascript. It'd be
> great to see how the accessibility JS works and communicates with the
> two interfaces that it adds to the WebView.

If there's an A11y plugin, then that can be added with <plugin.xml>. If
this should be a core feature, then we can easily build it in to the
whitelist, and enable it by default, like we do with file:///* and
android-asset://* urls.

Ian