cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Lisa Seacat DeLuca <ldel...@us.ibm.com>
Subject [Vote] Transifex Translation : please vote
Date Tue, 30 Jul 2013 21:02:46 GMT
I sent a note out about a month ago about using Transifex for translation
of the Cordova docs.  Everyone was preparing for the 3.0 release and
phonegap day so I didn't receive much of a response.  So I'm reopening the
discussion.

I have created a project within Transifex for cordova here:
https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/cordova

The way it works is:
1.      files are upload  to the Transifex system.  Transifex does not
have markdown files as one of the options for file type to import but they
do have html and plain text.  I have chosen plain text for testing and it
appears to work great.  I setup a preferences for the resource to be
pulled from github on a daily basis with the latest version of the file.
2.      Users may come in and provide translation or all or part of a
file.
3.      A "maintainer" or language expert is assigned to each language and
approves the translations
4.      progress information and status can be shown per file/project.
 Once complete, the translated file can be uploaded back into github under
the specific language.  This part is a manual process
Other open source projects use Transifex, for example, OpenStack.

I propose we do the following:
Use Transifex for each major release starting with 3.0.  If it is
relatively easy to translate for minor releases we can vote to do so with
each.
Assign a language "maintainer" for each supported language to monitor
translations. I suggest we start with Spanish and French since those are
the languages our group of committers can best contribute to at this time.
 (If we have a consensus to use Transfix, please volunteer if you'd like
to be the maintainer for a specific language).
Once a section of the documentation is approved by the language moderator,
we push the updates to GitHub.
I created a new JIRA issue related to globalization so we can track
comments outside of the mailing list as well.

Another thing to think about, Transifex offers automatic translation for
faster translation using google translation services or microsoft's which
require an api key and a paid subscription.  I don't know if either of
those companies offer a free key for open source needs. I know we have a
few representatives from those companies that might be able to give us
more information.

Why we should be worried about translation?
Globalization! If we can attract more developers to Cordova and make it
easier for those developers to get up and running with cordova by
providing documentation in their native languages,  cordova will continue
to grow in popularity globally.

Please vote if you are okay with moving forward with Transifex as a
solution to our translation needs.

Lisa
ldeluca@us.ibm.com
@IBMLisa