cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bowser <bows...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Android - Removing the .api namespace
Date Wed, 31 Jul 2013 17:39:01 GMT
On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 8:32 AM, Andrew Grieve <agrieve@chromium.org> wrote:
> Joe - please stop saying "I told you so". It really is counter-productive
> and it takes away from having a feeling of shared responsibility for the
> project.

I completely disagree.  I explicitly disagreed with this because I was
afraid of the backlash from the users, and my concerns were ignored.
The only reason that I agreed to it was to move forward, and it seems
that was the wrong decision for me to make.

> Checking in this change was not the only thing that brought us to this
> point. Had we had the time to follow our release process, it would have
> been caught by step 3 of CuttingRelease's "What to Test".

How? We don't test third-party plugins.

> That said, I'm still don't think that our mistake was anything other than
> poor messaging / docs. 3.0 implies that breaking changes will happen.

I disagree.  We should have kept the shim in so that people could
easily transition from 2.9 to 3.0, as what Don said earlier.

> Another thing we could look at doing is creating a shim as a plugin. Then,
> if plugins want to have their java code shared with both, they can declare
> that they depend on the "2.9.0 shim plugin". We could even do the same for
> the old "Plugin.java" (which is another thing we removed in 3.0)

Why are you so dead set against adding a shim into core?