cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Anis KADRI <>
Subject Re: Plugin / Platform mismatch problems
Date Mon, 29 Jul 2013 23:41:33 GMT
I spoke with @dshaw about this and told him why it was (currently) not
an option for Cordova.

Specifically (un)install actions and dependency management are
different. It seems like a a lot of overhead to get npm to do what
plugman (un)install does.

Everything else is pretty much the same and moving from plugin.xml to
package.json won't hurt us I don't think. I guess we wouldn't be able
to do XSLTs to validate documents but...other than that it would be a
logical move.

The other thing too is that npm is mainly for nodejs and/or javascript
packages and getting Cordova plugins in there can make search and
discovery harder. There are currently 36,472 NPMs as of this writing.
The counter-argument to this is that there are npm modules that use
native codes to execute. Some of them even require some third-party
interpreters (Ruby, Python, etc...).

View raw message