cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Anis KADRI <anis.ka...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 3.0.0 as a beta release?
Date Tue, 16 Jul 2013 20:36:28 GMT
On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 10:38 AM, Andrew Grieve <agrieve@chromium.org>wrote:

> One prime example of something that I think people will get tripped up by
> is that when you use Xcode or Eclipse, your changes will be often blown
> away by "cordova prepare". I think we should explore solutions to this
> (e.g. in Xcode, have the project reference the root www/ and merges/
> instead of the derived one). Another thing we could do is rename www ->
> derived_www/.

We've known this all along. That is precisely why I wanted the ability to
manage projects and plugins outside of Cordova-CLI. That is also why
plugman can also be used as a standalone tool. People are still able to use
the platform provided create/build/emulate scripts. If you don't use CLI,
you're still able to load your project in XCode/Eclipse/Android Studio
etc...

I think both options should be offered for as long as possible. Some people
like the command-line some people don't.

As far as beta vs final, I think that as long as we're comfortable with our
"exec" bridge and our plugin management it should be a final release. Every
other issue can be managed separately in the plugin land as Brian
mentioned. This is a major architectural change and I don't expect most
developers will upgrade right away unless they're early adopters. Labeling
it beta or final won't change that fact I think.

The important thing is to document everything related to 3.0 as much as
possible.