cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Kerri Shotts <ke...@photokandy.com>
Subject Re: cordova-playbook 'deprecation'
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2013 20:46:24 GMT
Not as untenable a thought as you suggest; there are a great many devs out
there considering iOS 7 as the base level of support for the next version
of their apps after iOS 7 is released. Leaving the iPhone 5 out of it (it's
not exactly Cordova's fault that BB hasn't made more phones on BB10), Apple
is clearly expecting that most people will be on iOS 7 in a quick hurry
given previous uptake rates on iOS 6.

Keep in mind that one can't support old platforms forever. Sooner or later
Cordova will be forced to drop support for iOS 5 and 6 at some point, too,
if only because that's all Apple supports. The same applies for BB. If
support in Cordova was contingent on BB10 getting to the playbook, one can
hardly expect that Cordova will magically be able to support the playbook
without BB10. (Personally, I suspect this means that the current iteration
of playbook is dead, dead, dead, and that, assuming BB even wants to
continue in the tablet space, a new device will be released instead.)

--

___________________________________
Kerri Shotts

On the Web: http://www.photokandy.com/