cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Brian LeRoux...@brian.io>
Subject Re: List of 'issues' I have seen with latest version
Date Tue, 30 Jul 2013 03:37:26 GMT
> The main difference between plugman & cli is that CLI provides
> multi-platform support and plugman doesn't.

Yes?

> I'm not suggesting we change CLI to have platform-specific logic (neither
> was Tyler). I *am* suggesting that we can make the platforms aware of when
> they exist within a CLI world.

Sorry, I don't understand.

> Cordova certainly breaks more between releases than the platform IDEs...
> Not sure what your point there is though.

Sorry, thought I was being clear. I was saying that these IDEs are
fragile garbage that always break old versions of Cordova when they
upgrade. Sure, we break too, but that isn't what we're talking about.

> There are currently key things that apps need to do that CLI doesn't
> support. E.g. setting entitlements for push notifications, setting app
> icons / launch images, setting the size of the NSUrlCache, setting allowed
> device orientations for iPad vs iPod. IDEs also just give really nice
> integration with emulators / devices ("just push play" support).

Right! That!! These would be far more interesting goals to me than
striving to make Eclipse, Xcode and whatever the hell else a first
class citizen. (QtCreator comes to mind. Ugh.) Those are also the
things we need to focus on if we truly want ./platforms to become a
build artifact.

I think that adds way more value given we already do support the IDEs
just not in the multi-project world as you pointed out earlier.