cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Brian LeRoux...@brian.io>
Subject Re: killing github.com/phonegap/phonegap-plugins
Date Wed, 03 Jul 2013 22:21:07 GMT
The current plan right now is to keep it around for at least 6 months
to allow for porting.

Ultimately the older architecture is manual, error prone, and a
detriment to the project from a forward thinking perspective. The old
plugin style does not allow for installation without a human
copy/pasting a bunch of junk and editing config files. It doesn't
allow for easy discovery or removal either.

Contrast with the new architecture: you decouple platform from APIs,
automated discovery, installation, and removal. This is going to be
far easier to maintain, upgrade and extend. It solves all the issues
of 2.x and is recommended development workflow.

I respect, and I know all our developers do, that ppl have legacy code
to maintain. We're not going to 'force' you to upgrade and we will
keep 2.9 around in long lived branch to make sure you aren't left
behind. That said, we're going to strongly encourage developers to
upgrade b/c we think its a far better development experience.