cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Brian LeRoux...@brian.io>
Subject Re: Plugin / Platform mismatch problems
Date Mon, 29 Jul 2013 23:55:26 GMT
Ya, the Node characters in this story that I'm talking w/ are dshaw,
mikeal, izs, and joemccann. All pushing we go this route and YES its
super easier than it sounds. =P

Agree on discovery getting a little harder but this isn't an exclusive
move but rather an additive operation. That is to say, they want us to
have a compatibility but in no way are saying we use the npm registry
for our core plugins.

So: package.json, install, and uninstall are the tricks to this pony.
I think we can easily get consensus for moving to package.json using
our current technique. I'll talk to them further about the
install/uninstall business.

The next version of Node will be shipping w/ the npm registry included
so this is actually rather cool for us as the install would become:
install node.

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 7:41 PM, Anis KADRI <anis.kadri@gmail.com> wrote:
> I spoke with @dshaw about this and told him why it was (currently) not
> an option for Cordova.
>
> Specifically (un)install actions and dependency management are
> different. It seems like a a lot of overhead to get npm to do what
> plugman (un)install does.
>
> Everything else is pretty much the same and moving from plugin.xml to
> package.json won't hurt us I don't think. I guess we wouldn't be able
> to do XSLTs to validate documents but...other than that it would be a
> logical move.
>
> The other thing too is that npm is mainly for nodejs and/or javascript
> packages and getting Cordova plugins in there can make search and
> discovery harder. There are currently 36,472 NPMs as of this writing.
> The counter-argument to this is that there are npm modules that use
> native codes to execute. Some of them even require some third-party
> interpreters (Ruby, Python, etc...).
>
> On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 4:28 PM, Brian LeRoux <b@brian.io> wrote:
>> I have a parallel conversation rolling w/ the node guys and they're
>> hoping to convince us to move everything to the npm registry itself.
>> (Or at least be compatible to do so.)
>>
>> I think this is a worthwhile goal but it does mean:
>>
>> - plugin.xml gets either deprecated for package.json or we continue
>> tool that impedance mismatch
>> - install on the npm side needs to learn about cordova (yes issac is
>> open to this!)
>>
>> Did I miss anything Anis?
>>
>> Thoughts [larger group]?
>>

>> On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 6:06 PM, Anis KADRI <anis.kadri@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Agree.
>>> For the last point. There is a <keywords> tag added to the spec to
>>> facilitate search. Has to be added by plugin author.
>>> I am going to drop the current names for the registry and republish
>>> them with the new convention. Unless anyone has any objections. We'll
>>> implement that prefixing right after.

I suspect
I have to
I will