cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Grieve <agri...@chromium.org>
Subject Publishing to npm
Date Wed, 31 Jul 2013 17:54:30 GMT
We're telling people to install plugman & cordova via npm, but we're
publishing updates to npm on a regular basis without any sort of release
process. True?

Or maybe npm has a way to publish dev versions that people won't pick up by
default?

Either way, I'll start the ball rolling here:

For a of any of our pieces (npm, plugins, platforms), I think it's a must
to have a wiki page documenting the release process. We have this for
platforms (although it needs updating now that we're 3.0), but we need this
for plugins & npm modules as well now.

A release process should :
1 - include testing procedures to follow when releasing
2 - be detailed enough that anyone can perform the release
3 - include a JIRA release issue to track the occurrence of the release.
4 - include creating a git tag for the release

Anything else?

All releases should also have a vote (even if it's recorded through a JIRA
issue). This is stated in the apache rules, but also serves the purpose of
making a release a team release instead of an individual release). I'd like
to see a release vote happen as an email that includes:
1 - Main motivation for the release (even if it's just "time has passed")
2 - The changelog since the previous release.

Make sense?

Andrew