cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Grieve <agri...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: Purpose and Scope of COHO (was tag 3.0.0rc1 on Monday the 15th)
Date Fri, 12 Jul 2013 20:17:17 GMT
On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 2:57 PM, Brian LeRoux <b@brian.io> wrote:

> Well, thats not true, so lets not revise history. We did have a
> documented process emergent at CuttingReleases and since its been
> refactored by many of us. Same is true for coho.

Sorry, you're right that the page did exist before. I do recall trying to
follow the steps on the page for the 2.7 release and finding that steps
were missing, and some listed steps were missing the "how". Certainly did
exist before though.

> The difference is the recent refactoring has come about without
> discussion or consensus.

Here's a thread where I stated my intentions to refactor the release bug &
to automate some of the steps via coho:
http://markmail.org/message/rrjvwe7efzpv6uk2

There were no objections.

I did also create a JIRA issue to track it:

There were no concerns here either.

Here are a couple more threads about changing the release bug:
http://markmail.org/message/ncqqgsxmi5besl2m
http://markmail.org/message/v7vmybklrynlu5ma

> The concern here is what precisely we want to do with coho. Before it
> just downloaded tags and created a archive. Now it does... lots.

A month later I sent out an update about changes to coho:
http://markmail.org/message/2ckd2ndkrg4crkyg

There were no concerns.

> We want to help and work on this. Nobody is going to debate the value
> of automation or documentation. Lets not pretend those things didn't
> exist before or that the recent changes are 'for the better' without
> discussion or consensus.

Some discussion we did have was about whether repos should be tagged all
together or separately.
http://markmail.org/message/b5vxf6wtxphfavyr
A specific concern, which was totally valid, and I agreed with - separate
is the way to go.

I hope this shows that there was indeed discussion, and opportunities to
voice concerns (aka "silent consensus") on many aspects of coho and
altering the JIRA template. Maybe not all aspects, but certainly I had made
attempts to be clear about my intentions and changes.

If there are specific concerns with coho, or the new JIRA template, or the
wiki page, then let's carry forward with specifics.

Joe - Our tools are not responsible for creating quality releases, we are.
In my mind quality comes from a well-specified, and well-followed release
process. I haven't used the "repo" tool before, but if it can improve our
lives, then I'd love to hear about it.