cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Grieve <agri...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: Android - Removing the .api namespace
Date Tue, 30 Jul 2013 21:03:40 GMT
Joe - I've not tried to be anonymous, and am planning on writing some blog
posts as well (now that we have a blog to post them on).

Fil - I'll spend some time tomorrow on #phonegap. That's a good suggestion.

Tommy - I agree with you about our deprecation policy. I think we should
discuss again how we can make developers more aware of changes (e.g.
require a blog post now that we have a blog, include it in upgrade guides.
Have plugin upgrade guides in addition to project upgrade guides). Even the
"window" where we try and have shims is often ineffective. I think we might
be better to remove things without shims so long as we can improve our
communication about changes.

There's a pretty good blog post on writing android plugins here:
http://devgirl.org/2013/07/17/tutorial-how-to-write-a-phonegap-plugin-for-android/

There are lots of things that we knew were broken with 3.0, which is why I
wanted to label it as a "beta" release. If it weren't for PGD, I'm really
don't think we would have released it in the state it was in.

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 3:36 PM, Filip Maj <fil@adobe.com> wrote:

> I dare you to idle in #phonegap on irc.freenode.net and answer every
> plugin-related question.
>
> On 7/30/13 12:33 PM, "Filip Maj" <fil@adobe.com> wrote:
>
> >As for who is getting angry/confused, I am helping folk on #cordova IRC
> >upgrade their plugins because it won't work / not accounted for in the
> >upgrade guides.
> >
> >On 7/30/13 12:12 PM, "Tommy-Carlos Williams" <tommy@devgeeks.org> wrote:
> >
> >>I don't wanna sound like I am being a pain, but reallyŠ the whole
> >>deprecation policy thing is a bit pointless if it's not followed, and not
> >>noisy.
> >>
> >>Most people who use plugins, use other people's plugins, they don't build
> >>them themselves.
> >>
> >>The use of plugins so far in the life of Cordova has been one of massive
> >>pain when in fact it should have been one of Cordova's shining lights.
> >>
> >>As one of the people that *does* face developer/end user wrath when this
> >>stuff gets broken every few months, it would be really nice if the
> >>Cordova devs doing the breaking could also be those to help the fixing.
> >>
> >>Blog posts. We need more. I can try to help on this and it's right up my
> >>alley, but I am also in the middle of trying to ship an app, so time is
> >>tight.
> >>
> >>I'll try to write a post on taking a 2.x plugin (say an example from
> >>phonegap/phonegap-plugins) and turning it into a working 3.x plugin when
> >>I get back to Australia. However, if a week has gone by and I haven't
> >>been able to, can anyone put their hand up to do it in my stead?
> >>Realistically it needs to cover Android and iOS at a minimum (the plugin
> >>ecosystem for the other platforms is much smaller).
> >>
> >>Any takers?
> >>
> >>- tommy

Most