cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Wargo, John" <john.wa...@sap.com>
Subject Consistent lazy Load problems
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2013 15:16:44 GMT
For weeks now I've been working with the CLI as it goes from version to version and a few weeks
back a problem arose where the lazy load of the default www project fails or the lazy load
of the Android or iOS project. I've documented this repeatedly, my most recent JIRA ticket
is here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-4322.

What's happening is that the CLI is trying to download an archive for some of the files it
needs, but fails somehow. Using -d I can tell a little more about what is happening, but it
is not always clear why its failing. I'm not sure if the download is not happening or the
extraction of the download is failing, but the end result is that the CLI thinks it already
has the files it needs (when it actually doesn't) because the folder it's looking for already
exists.

The CLI needs to report whether or not it is able to download the files and/or report that
it's failing on the extraction - then act accordingly. Checking to see if the folder exists
is not a valid check in this case as if the lazy load fails, the folder the CLI is checking
for still exists - which breaks the process and leaves the CLI in an unworkable state. The
target folder should not be created (or it should be deleted on fail) unless the files have
been extracted to it.

This particular problem is affecting my entire team, there are many of us here being affected
by this. I thought at first that this must be a proxy problem, but I've now gotten back to
my home office and I'm experiencing the exact same problem on my Mac Mini which isn't using
a proxy and has no proxy settings.  I've experienced this problem on our company network as
well as in two different hotel networks and now my home office network. This is with three
different computers on 4 different networks.

On my MacBook and my windows laptop, I've configured npm and git with the appropriate proxy
settings for my work network to no avail. With or without the settings, it fails.

Two of my colleagues (in England and Germany) are experiencing the same problems; they're
on different networks and have different proxy servers. They were able to get around this
by manually forcing the proxy setting in the lazyload.js file:

request.get({uri:url, proxy:'http://some_proxy_server:8080'}, function(err, req, body) { size
= body.length; })

I would prefer to not have to modify the code to make this work. Unfortunately, the end result
is our developers are ready to give up on the CLI since we can't make it work reliably simply
for creating new projects or adding platforms to existing projects (both use lazy load).

Is there a recommended fix for this? Anything I can do to help document this better?

John M. Wargo
Twitter: @johnwargo