cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Kinard <cmarc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Android - Removing the .api namespace
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2013 19:55:55 GMT
Normally being very averse to changing pubic API's, I'm with Andrew and Ian on this. If we
are going to be making breaking changes, especially if they are small, do them all at once.

On Jul 9, 2013, at 11:06 PM, Joe Bowser <bowserj@gmail.com> wrote:

> So far, we've asked plugin developers to migrate from the old-style
> plugins to CordovaPlugin so that their plugins will work with 3.0.0.
> Many plugin developers have already done that.

We have migrated our plugins, but have third-party plugins done the same? Or do they wait
for us to release the breaking change and then they are "forced" to update their plugin? I'm
guessing the latter, but that is just a guess.

I think what would help here is a Plugin Migration Guide in cordova-docs that gives a nice
list of what the plugin developer needs to do. Most plugin devs are probably OK with making
changes, as long as we tell them what they need to know.

If there is a third-party plugin that an app developer needs that is abandonware, then they
can stick with 2.9.x until the plugin gets updated.