cordova-dev mailing list archives

From J Prince <princej.w...@hotmail.co.uk>
Subject RE: Suggestion - pluginLoader
Date Tue, 18 Jun 2013 15:55:19 GMT
I have (briefly) looked at Harmony loaders before but that is a spec for a future javascript
language version.
I have found a module loader that I wish to use (require.js).

My point is that the current suggested module definition for cordova plugins INCLUDES a loader
implementation.

I am suggesting that the loader implementation be removed from the plugin to a new method
cordova.pluginLoader
This would make the plugins cleaner (as they would only describe their own behaviour) and
it would also allow cordova or app developers to change/customize the loader implementation
as needed.

My suggested approach would result in plugins that could be loaded in multiple different ways
including (but not limited to); "classic" window.plugins, cordova.define and require.js

> From: jbondc@openmv.com
> To: dev@cordova.apache.org
> Subject: RE: Suggestion - pluginLoader
> Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 15:08:27 +0000
>
> Take a look at:
> http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=harmony:module_loaders
> https://gist.github.com/wycats/51c96e3adcdb3a68cbc3
>
> That type of extensible loader could make sense in Cordova and seems like it would meet
all your requirements.

shell that re-directs to all the html content. This means that we have to dynamically load
a different cordova.js (depending on platform) following the redirect.
> So we are actually unable to do anything other than dynamically load plugins once the
platform specific cordova.js is loaded

> 2. Some of the plugins will be used incredibly rarely. It doesn't seem necessary to always
load plugins until they are needed.

> 3. We are building with a single page architecture so don't want to end up with lots
of script includes in the index.html page.