cordova-dev mailing list archives

From J Prince <princej.w...@hotmail.co.uk>
Subject RE: Suggestion - pluginLoader
Date Fri, 21 Jun 2013 12:30:08 GMT
So it's been about a week now and I haven't really had any feedback on this.
https://github.com/jxp/cordova.pluginLoader
 I'm not sure if this means;

a) Everyone is too busy
b) Everyone assumed someone else would respond
c) No-one is that interested in plugin javascript definitions
d) You've had similar discussions before and don't want to start THAT again

> From: princej.ws01@hotmail.co.uk
> To: dev@cordova.apache.org
> Subject: RE: Suggestion - pluginLoader
> Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 16:55:19 +0100
>
> I have (briefly) looked at Harmony loaders before but that is a spec for a future javascript
language version.
> I have found a module loader that I wish to use (require.js).
>
> My point is that the current suggested module definition for cordova plugins INCLUDES
a loader implementation.

> I am suggesting that the loader implementation be removed from the plugin to a new method
cordova.pluginLoader
> This would make the plugins cleaner (as they would only describe their own behaviour)
and it would also allow cordova or app developers to change/customize the loader implementation
as needed.

> My suggested approach would result in plugins that could be loaded in multiple different
ways including (but not limited to); "classic" window.plugins, cordova.define and require.js

shell that re-directs to all the html content. This means that we have to dynamically load
a different cordova.js (depending on platform) following the redirect.
> > So we are actually unable to do anything other than dynamically load plugins once
the platform specific cordova.js is loaded

> > 2. Some of the plugins will be used incredibly rarely. It doesn't seem necessary
to always load plugins until they are needed.

> > 3. We are building with a single page architecture so don't want to end up with
lots of script includes in the index.html page.