cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Kinard <>
Subject Re: We need better contributions from new people
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2013 15:02:26 GMT
On Jun 12, 2013, at 6:10 PM, Joe Bowser <> wrote:

> The problem with this approach is that we shouldn't rely on just
> mobile-spec for our testing...
> The fact is that on Android, if you're doing changes to the core, you
> should be running the JUnit tests included with the project...

Sounds good. So how about the following:

- the developer (contributor or committer) is responsible to test their own code and correct
any problems before a pull request is submitted (contributor authored) or it lands in the
stream (committer authored). The testing includes both verifying the function they added/touched,
plus running the test suites to verify there are no regressions.
- When we say "run the test suites" this includes the automated tests in mobile-spec, the
manual tests in mobile-spec and any platform-specific unit tests (i.e., cordova-android/test,
cordova-ios/CordovaLibTests, etc.)
- if a pull request, the committer should sanity check the contributor's code. This should
include at least a simple visual inspection.
- if a pull request, the committer should see that the contributor tested it. A simple comment
in Jira should suffice, similar to how Mike and Lisa worked as contributors here:

If there is consensus, I can add the above verbage to the wiki.

Do we want to go as far as the following?

- every new function and defect fix should include an automated test (where reasonably feasible)
that lands in a test suite at the same time as the new function / fix.