cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Braden Shepherdson <bra...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: Plugin and CordovaPlugin
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2013 13:56:00 GMT
I'm indifferent about adding this back.

What I do want to comment on is that this seems like a good precursor of
the furor that 3.0 is likely to create. Lots of things are going to change,
and all of these old plugins are going to be in a questionable state. In
principle there's no reason why you can't manually install them in a
3.0-era project, I suppose.

But it's going to be very confusing, and I suspect people are going to be
trying to use the CLI tools to install old plugins, and manually installing
new plugins. Or just not updating, because it would require more than a
small bit of work to migrate their apps. How firm are we going to be when
our users cry out for a 2.10, for long-term support for 2.x? It might be to
our advantage to promise a couple of bugfix releases on 2.x up front when
announcing 3.0. That sets the expectations: you have plenty of warning, and
time to make the change, but it's not going to last forever; the decision
for when to drop support is already made.

We don't want to find ourselves juggling both branches six months from now,
let alone a year from now.

Braden

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 8:18 AM, Lucas Holmquist <lholmqui@redhat.com>wrote:

> This is sort of a tough one i think,  how long has this deprecation notice
> been in the code?
>
> if we change android to work,  and then remove it again,  will we still
> have the same issue with the users.
>

> i'm just trying to play devil's advocate here. As a user, it would be nice
> to have this come back for a release, but as a developer,  i can see the
> other hand
>

> On Jun 11, 2013, at 2:26 AM, Joe Bowser <bowserj@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Sounds good, as long as we set it to deprecate after 3.0.  I can get
> > it done tomorrow.
> >
> > On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 10:45 PM, Filip Maj <fil@adobe.com> wrote:
> >> Might not be a bad idea, I'm sure users would appreciate it. Is it
> >> acceptable for us to do an android-only 2.8.1 ?

> having

> it

I'm