cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse <purplecabb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cordova vs Company workflow
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2013 00:28:04 GMT
Personally, if I had a change that I wanted to add to Android, or iOS, I
would send a pull request to Joe, or Shazron respectively.  I effectively
consider them to be the gatekeepers for their respective platforms as they
work on them every day and I consider them to have a much deeper knowledge
of implications that I might not have thought of.  This inevitably leads to
a brief discussion, ... Why did you make this change? How confident are you
that this doesn't break shit?  Did you test it?  All of which are
important, but perhaps more important is the resultant communication.

Myself, I do ALL my work in my github fork and maintain multiple branches
there, and I LOVE it when I get a pull request for WP7, WP8, or Windows8,
which are the platforms I look after day to day.

@purplecabbage
risingj.com

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 4:36 PM, Joe Bowser <bowserj@gmail.com> wrote:

> The thing is that people don't start out as committers. It has to be earned
> over time.  Committership is with an individual, not a company.
> On Jun 5, 2013 4:32 PM, "Filip Maj" <fil@adobe.com> wrote:
>
> > Agree with Lorin, if you are a committer, go ahead and push your changes
> > but please for the love of god test every change you make. If you cannot
> > test due to lack of devices, then please for the love of god ask someone
> > on the list to do the testing for you.
> >
> > On 6/5/13 4:30 PM, "Lorin Beer" <lorin.beer.dev@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >-1 for allowing time for discussion/code-review between diff/commit/pull
> > >request to the issue and committing to master, if I understand the
> > >suggestion.
> > >
> > >For non-committer contributors, yes, this is a natural workflow and
> > >a necessary step for getting your code into the project in the first
> > >place.
> > >
> > >But the status of committership denotes those that are trusted to push
> > >commits to master without the contribution being vetted by someone else.
> > >If
> > >the commit adds additional functionality or drastically changes existing
> > >functionality, the workflow is to discuss it on the list and open up a
> > >lazy
> > >consensus vote *prior* to beginning work on it in the first place.

> it

> > jheifetz@blackberry.com

If