cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Michal Mocny <mmo...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: chromeview
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2013 19:15:44 GMT
Adding to Bradens answer, here are some things I remember discussing:

- Chrome/Android teams have significantly harder constraints than cordova
would have in terms of backwards compatibility, stability, and API
consistency.  Cordova could probably do interesting things if we didn't
need to support older apps.  This is interesting.
- On the other hand, ignoring the download size, Chrome team really hates
forking/other f-wording the web and tries to do that as little as possible,
and one of the tools to help with that is autoupdate/evergreen browsers.
 If we bundle a renderer with a cordova app, when/how does it update?  What
if there are vulnerabilities discovered? Performance improvements made?
 Cordova is kinda a fancy browser, but this would literally mean shipping a
custom browser with each app.  (cordova devs may argue that the android
webview is a bigger pain/other f-word of the web, but alas..)

There are many details, and some generally compelling pros/cons to an
approach like this.  I think the most interesting point about an
application-bundled chromeview is that Adobe folk got it running on 2.3,
albeit with unknown stability.  I'de love to get a more compelling answer
from Chrome/Android about what the future platform will entail -- perhaps
we can have a better answer in a few weeks.

-Michal