cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Michal Mocny <mmo...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: Cordova 2.9.0 Final
Date Wed, 26 Jun 2013 04:35:32 GMT
Yeah, rebase private (local) commits liberally, never rebase public commits.

Also, merge commits do come with a cost.  Aside from the extra commits
adding noise, it becomes more difficult to track branch history for
anything complicated.

** Aside ** RE: git rebase origin/master after an accidental merge: thats a
very simple solution, and I just ran into this problem today.  Instead, I
had git reset --hard to my previous local parent (and had to deal with
figuring out which commit that was, as git log shows mangled history
post-merge, though I've now learned that git reset --hard HEAD@{1} may do
that), followed by a normal rebase.  Stack Overflow didn't help with that
one, so go answer
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2389361/undo-a-git-merge ;)

-Michal

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 8:47 PM, Andrew Grieve <agrieve@chromium.org> wrote:

> A personal preference perhaps, but an Apache no-no? Are you sure? This
> isn't re-writing upstream history, and would go along the same lines as
> saying that you should never squash your work-in-progress commits, which
> we've been advocating that you do on all of our wiki pages. We also tell
> contributors to rebase when they update pull requests instead of making
> commit after commit.
>

> On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 7:47 PM, Joe Bowser <bowserj@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Honestly, I would rather have merge commits in the repo than start
> > screwing with the history of the repo with a rebase.  Re-writing
> > history is a big Apache no-no.
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 4:39 PM, Andrew Grieve <agrieve@chromium.org>
> > wrote:
> > > A couple git tips that I learned recently:
> > >
> > > git pull --rebase will eliminate merge commits that are due to pulling
> > when
> > > a local commit has been made.
> > >
> > > If you failed to --rebase and have a merge commit:
> > >
> > > git rebase origin/master (assuming you're on master) will reorder your
> > > commits to make your local ones come after remote ones, and also
> > eliminate
> > > the merge commit.

> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cordova-android.git;a=log;h=df1536ea77e97b7d362a19582f8beddd168c5ec3

> tag
> branch?

> stevengill97@gmail.com>

> > heading
> tomorrow
> > tagging?

> abandoned
> old

> > agrieve@chromium.org

> > out

> > new

> > the

 Am I supposed
> Can
> > we

HEAD

The jira
> bug
in with the
> using a

> the
> > ensure

> running

> > bowserj@gmail.com>

> instead
> > of
code, we have one
> > person
> > the
twice.

automation from
> the
> > release.
the existing
I keep getting an
> > error

repo ' + shjs.pwd()
> > + '
> > being
> (/Users/jbowser/cordova-coho/coho:281:11)
[as entryPoint]

to do to get this

> > 3.0
these proposed