cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Brian LeRoux...@brian.io>
Subject Re: [cordova-cli] ripple instead of serve
Date Mon, 10 Jun 2013 20:52:20 GMT
There is an interesting nugget here. Maybe there should be things like
./platforms/ripple (and ./platforms/chrome-packaged-app

???

makes sense to me.

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 1:42 PM, Michal Mocny <mmocny@chromium.org> wrote:
> - App-harness is 99% just plain serving of files with these constraints:
>  - The folder to server is the *platform specific* www output "artifact"
> (ie, after www/ and merges/ and plugins mush together)
>  - The final config.xml file is in a special location outside that folder,
> and is handled specially right now (the config.xml inside www/ is the wrong
> one, its the app manifest, we really do need to rename these two configs)
>  - Finally, in order to have true edit-refresh, we would like to support
> 'grunt watch' like functionality and re-run prepare step, upon modification
> of app web assets (and plugin web assets?)
>
> Also, if Ripple is one client, App-Harness is another client, and
> potentially we have more clients (i.e. maybe just your mobile browser),
> while I agree to consolidate, perhaps we shouldn't call the command
> 'ripple' but something generic, like leaving it 'serve'.
>
> -Michal
>

> On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 4:29 PM, Filip Maj <fil@adobe.com> wrote:
>
>> My view is that both `ripple` and `serve` do essentially the same thing:
>> host local assets for viewing/editing/testing in a browser. Essentially
>> enabling that fast edit/refresh cycle without have to compile/redeploy to
>> a device every time. And as Gord chimed in, current `cordova ripple`
>> relies to a degree on `serve`.
>>
>> Definitely do NOT want to eliminate the ability to do edit/refresh.
>> Rather, we have two fairly buggy implementations that I would like to see
>> consolidated and fixed. DEFINITELY want to have good integration with the
>> app harness. I have yet to play around with it, actually, to my shame.
>> Michal are there any specific things necessary for the app-harness other
>> than a local server?
>>
>> On 6/10/13 1:23 PM, "Michal Mocny" <mmocny@chromium.org> wrote:
>>
>> >If the current 'serve' implementation needs axing, thats fine.  However,
>> >curious if you are implying that 'ripple' will be the only way to do repid
>> >edit-refresh without rebuilding native components?  We need a way to get
>> >app updates to a device running e.g. app-harness right?  I thought that
>> >was
>> >the point of 'serve'.
>> >
>> >Is the proposal to remove the current implementation and re-add something
>> >functional later, or is the argument that we don't need a serve feature at
>> >all?
>> >
>> >-Michal

>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cordova-cli.git;a=blob_plain;f=

>> braden@chromium.org

it in 2.6 to feel

Maj <fil@adobe.com>
my mind ripple is just a
I believe some of
serve, so perhaps a
command and then we
coming weeks.

<gtanner@gmail.com>

currently I have it
branch [1]

a much needed feature we
[2]) as well as adding
[3] (to support

and add this to emulate
meantime)

>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-ripple.git;a=commitd
>> >> > > >> > > >>>

>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-ripple.git;a=commitd

Michal Mocny

PM, Gord Tanner

case I had in mind.  When we
so just used linux and ripple
macbook when we needed to

at 3:12 PM, Michal Mocny <

 Combined with Bradens proposal to
looks very good.

isn't the only reason, platform
ie, can "test" iPhone (sorta) on a

2013 at 2:15 PM, Brian LeRoux <

realized this would fulfill offline use

be a future thing

really nice path

22, 2013 at 11:06 AM, Gord Tanner

I would want to add the ability to
don't have the build dependencies.

would just default to ripple so is still

my iPhone

at 1:55 PM, Brian LeRoux <

think this bleeds back into other
> [...]
call earlier. I think some tacit agreement
Ripple is the default ./emulate command.
Lets keep thread focused.)