cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Brian LeRoux...@brian.io>
Subject Re: Device as an intrinsic plugin
Date Fri, 28 Jun 2013 16:44:31 GMT
I'm not convinced the device namespace thing is actually helpful for
our larger goals at all. Its essentially user agent detection on
steroids. Now, ua detection has been vilified even though it was quite
useful for polyfilling messed up phones. Given we now have the
`./merges` folder I'm less convinced in the utility for that
particular use case. Huge benefit of the plugin breakout is that we
can maintain a semblance of backwards compatibility, or at least a
migration path, while driving the API forward in a more extensible
manner.

>From what I understand device.version is needed currently. I'd be
happy if we removed the whole thing however unless a compelling use
case can be presented.

Closer to the browser and faster: win.